Monday, November 17, 2008

Scotland or Bust (September 26 - 28)

Sorry this post took so long... I thought I had already done it... I guess in my old age I am loosing my mind ;-)

So Chris really wanted to go to Scotland while we were here but it was definitely not at the top of my list. Thanks to Accenture it got moved to the number one position. Accenture sent Chris to Scotland for work (how convenient) so since his flight was already paid for all we had to do was buy a plane ticket for me and a hotel for the weekend. The city Chris's client was in is Glasgow. Not the most glamorous city in Scotland by any stretch of the imagination. I flew in Friday morning and (after Chris finally finished working) we toured Glasgow for the afternoon. The plan was to spend Saturday in Edinburgh but I had a crazy idea at dinner. "Lets rent a car and drive to Oban"


View Larger Map

I got a tip from a Scotland native that Oban was cool city to see and that the drive would be amazing. That evening Chris booked a rental and early the next morning we were off on our adventure. Chris was excited because there is a whiskey distillery in Oban that he really wanted to visit. The drive was very pretty. There was a part of the journey where we were on a one lane road for several miles and when I say a one lane road I mean ... Chris and I were not sure what would happen if a car came from the other direction. The road we were on was suppose to be a major highway. I am still not sure how we actually arrived in Oban but we did. Once we arrived we walked around the city before purchasing my cashmere sweater (I explained to Chris that you have to buy a cashmere sweater when you are in Scotland... he eventually got over the sticker shock). Then it was off to the whiskey distillery where I can only assume what I tasted was 100% alcohol. Chris finished both of my samples for me ;-). After the Whiskey Chris was feeling good so obviously the next logically thing to do is climb a steep hill. At the top was a mini Colosseum. I have seen the real Colosseum in Italy and didn't really think this was necessary but Chris was not taking no for an answer. The view from the top was pretty amazing but I will never admit that to Chris.

On our way back from Oban I had another fabulous idea. "Lets get up super early catch a train to Edinburgh and take the open top tour bus around the city and then come back before our 2:00 plane ride home." Chris, my very cautious husband, was very nervous about this plan but decided to play along. We thought we would have 2 hours in Edinburgh but after a small train closure snag we were down to an hour. Chris, now even more nervous, reluctantly agreed to go. The city is beautiful and in the end we are glad we went. The pictures of Edinburgh leave a lot to be desired as they were taken from a moving bus but you will get the idea.

I hope you enjoy. Be sure to read the captions on the pictures. I dont remember what a lot of pictures in in Edinburgh were of. It was a lot to see in an hour ;-).

No comments: